As much as pet parents do their best to protect their pets, illnesses unexpectedly appear. Pet insurance eases the financial burden and provides peace of mind whenever these circumstances arise. However, not all pet insurance claims are the same. Learn more about the variety of pet insurance claims if your pet was to experience one of these common health problems.
If you notice your furry pet excessively licking, biting, or scratching themselves, take them to the vet at your earliest convenience. With many pets’ skin conditions out there, your pet will suffer from one. Below are the common skin problems that affect pets:
- Atopic dermatitis. Known as atopy, it results from an allergy or hypersensitivity to outdoor and indoor allergens like pollen, grass, and trees. Pets with atopy often scratch and lick themselves in the commonly affected areas – feet and ears – where infections can develop.
- Ringworm. They are highly contagious and typically appear as circular, crusty bald patches on pets’ skins. Depending on the infection’s severity, treatments include oral medications or medicated shampoo.
- Fleas. Pets may develop allergies to fleas which can lead to severe skin issues. There are preventative products and flea treatments such as oral antibiotics and steroids, antibiotic shampoos and creams, and topical steroids.
Cats and dogs also suffer from gastrointestinal (GI) tract disorders. The following reasons can cause these digestive disorders:
- When your pet is eating something they are not supposed to, such as table scraps, trash, etc.
- Pancreatitis is inflammation of a digestive gland caused by particular medications or the consumption of food that is hard for the pancreas to operate.
- When parasites, worms, and viruses (parvovirus) are transmitted when bits of the feces of an infected animal are ingested or exposed to your pet.
- Bacteria (E. coli, Salmonella, etc.) passed between animals and humans due to improper food handling like raw meats.
Depending on the affected part of the ear, there are three levels of ear infections in pets. Each pet will experience different symptoms from multiple causes such as bacterial overgrowth, allergies, rashes, and even cancer. Some of these infections can result in neurological damage and even deafness.
Physical visits, emergency care, and exam fees can add up quickly. That is why it’s essential to invest in pet insurance!
Get Your Voluntary and Supplemental Insurance Policies with the MWE Partnership!
Are you a business looking to provide your employees with essential voluntary benefits? If so, look no further than The MWE Partnership. When you choose The MWE Partnership, you get experienced service and comprehensive voluntary benefit options that will meet the needs of all your employees. With over 17 years of experience, The MWE Partnership is your one-stop-shop for all your supplemental benefit needs. If you are interested in finding out how The MWE Partnership can help your business, then contact us today! Also, be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn for all the latest voluntary benefit news!